Today we talk about a problem that can happen at any age whether you are a child, a teenager, a thirty or even a senior: the Depression.
First of all, know that depression is going to be simply due to a set of factors related to the person himself, ie his biological and psychic state, but also to his personal and professional environment.
Depression is a mental illness which will cause mood changes in the person and thus disrupt his daily life. Doctors insist that a verifiable depression lasts at least 2 weeks. The person generally feels downgraded and is pessimistic.
Symptoms of depression
The symptoms of depression are both psychic and physical. Psychic symptoms can be:
- The person has a permanent sadness, she wants to cry all the time without being able to control herself and she wants to do nothing.
- We can also find anxiety, a feeling of guilt
- Difficulty in making decisions and focusing as well as morbid and even suicidal thoughts.
The physical symptoms of depression are:
- A fatigue that will be permanent and very intense,
- A disturbed sleep, so the person will either have insomnia or excessive sleep,
- Appetite disorders: the appetite will either increase sharply or decrease.
- As well as headaches and / or stomach aches.
It is interesting to know that mood changes that will happen during depression are due to an imbalance of the neurotransmitters’ balance in our brain and in particular a reduction in the activity of serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. These chemical messengers have many roles in our body and in particular in the maintenance of a good emotional state and the sensation of pleasure.
It should also be noted that depression has a genetic factor. People who have close relatives suffering from depression can also develop it in their turn.
The treatments of the depression consist on rebalancing the neurotransmitters’ balance via psychotherapy and / or antidepressants, according to the severity of the depression. There are different categories of antidepressants: some will be stimulating while others will cause drowsiness.
You should know that antidepressants put a minimum of 2 to 6 weeks before showing their benefits. So if you are on antidepressants and you do not see the effects of your treatment, that’s perfectly normal, you have to be patient, do not stop the treatment and wait for the effects to arrive gradually.
- The antidepressants are not addictive; your doctor can stop them gradually as soon as your first signs of healing appear, which will be the resumption of positive thoughts and your daily activities.
- It is essential that the antidepressant you are going to take is prescribed by your doctor depending on the severity of your depression and your sensitivity to medications. That means that you will not have to accept a medicine from one of your friends or a loved one without your doctor’s advice.
- Finally, alcohol can interact with certain types of antidepressants and cause behavioral disorders harmful to the person and his entourage. It is therefore imperative to avoid it as much as possible.